Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Kicking the Cubicle: Rachel Reinert, Artist

Rachel Reinert

“Kicking the Cubicle” is a interview series on The Blonde Abroad featuring women around the world sharing their inspiring pursuits of dream-worthy jobs, how they got where they are and what a day in their shoes looks like. Here, artist, Rachel Reinert shares her story!

Rachel Reinert is one of the most inspiring and creative people I’ve come across– she has created art for private collectors, interior designers, businesses, and public venues, and even designed textile lines and illustrated her own series of “grown-up” coloring books.

Being from California and Colorado, Rachel grew up in beauty of the outdoors and has had her share of wanderlust. She spent 2 years abroad, living and traveling around Australia, and since then spent time visiting Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Korea, China, France, Canada, Germany, and Iceland with me!

As a woman that has translated her passion, creativity, and love for art into a successful career, Rachel is exactly the sort of female entrepreneur I am excited to share with you!

Rachel in her San Diego Studio
  • Rachel, you have successfully built an art and illustration brand, created art for private collectors, interior designers, and businesses, AND have published amazing coloring books. Where did your journey as an artist begin?

As a child, I was always interested in the natural world. I took notice to the tiny details in plants and flowers in my backyard. I also loved creating things with my hands. When I was around 3 or 4, my mom gave me all kinds of crafts to do and special coloring books that came to life when painted over with water.

As I got older, I wanted to capture what I saw in the world on paper as accurately as possible. From a very young age I knew that I wanted to be an artist, even though I wasn’t really sure what that meant.

Desert photo shoot

  • What did you study in school? Do you think it’s helped you create the brand you have today?

I studied fine arts in school. I ended up getting an art education degree, along with a teaching credential to teach art. It definitely taught me to develop a strong routine in self discipline and challenged the quality of my work under deadlines. Following through a project from beginning to end, along with harsh classroom critique, pushed me to strengthen my skills. But really, it was completely up to me to create my style and do something with it in the end!

You ask yourself questions like, “Why am I doing this?” and “Who is this art for?” and if you can’t answer them, it’s hard to find purpose in your work.

Being an independent self starter is essential as an artist, or else your work will never be realized. That’s something that isn’t really taught. You have to learn to transition out of school projects for a grade to creating work on your own to sell and finding patrons.

It’s nearly impossible to be an artist if you don’t have the drive or resources to make it work.

The art making practices I learned in school were academic, so it didn’t really prepare me for the commercial type work I do now. Though I think that type of atmosphere pushed my work to really bloom, even if I went in a lot of different directions for years. It helped me learn to accept that my art will change and progress.

Read more about Rachel’s journey here!

Rachel Reinert's Art

  • Being an artist, inspiration must strike at odd times (or all the time!). How do you keep a balanced work & life schedule? What is a typical day like for you?

Every day is different! I have a home studio, so the work/life balance isn’t really there…hah! There are perks to it though. I can get up when I like, make coffee, walk down the hall, and create. But in order to stay sane, I have to get outside each day! I usually go hiking around San Diego or stroll the streets of North Park where I live.

Again, being in nature revives my spirit and feeds my inspiration too.

On a typical day, I might be taking and editing photos, working on a painting/illustration/coloring book project, writing my next book, posting content, checking emails, responding to social media messages, and looking for ways to promote my work in my community. Often I have 3-5 projects going on, whether it be a commission, a personal project, experiment or whatnot.

I can be hard when I feel inspired by something but can’t actually go create or work on it right away. But I’ve learned that the secret is to just GET TO WORK. Often I don’t really feel like working on something. But if I sit down, turn on my music, and get going, then I’ve found that I will eventually enter into the “flow” and I can get into the groove!

Exploring lava fields in Iceland

  • You love to travel, and are constantly on the go. How does your art fit into your travels?

Great question! When I’m on a trip somewhere it’s pretty hard to squeeze the time in to draw or make art. But when I have down time like being on a plane or in an airport, I work on a page from one of my coloring books, or a pre-painted watercolor page to illustrate on.

I love taking photos so most of the time while I’m traveling I’m absorbing the beauty of the country and trying to capture what I see! Then when I return home I can take what I’ve learned and apply it to my next project.

Rachel Reinert Illustration

  • What have you found most challenging about working in the art industry?

Being an artist or any freelancer means that there are slow times and there are busy times. It’s hard to rely on anything, so I always keep that in mind. I think I am still learning a lot about the art industry!

I’ve lived in many different cities and every community has their own special vibe.

Because I move around a lot, it can be challenging to develop myself as a local artist. I am constantly learning and meeting all kinds of creatives, but it takes years to establish yourself in a new place.

Desert Wonderland Coloring Book

  • You’ve worked on all sorts of projects. What have you created that you are most proud of?

I am really, super proud of my coloring books. I am totally humbled and honored that I am a published author/illustrator, and every time I see my books in stores that I shop in normally or photos of them colored in by individuals all over the world I have such a huge sense of gratitude!

I’m also really proud of the textile line I created for a fashion designer in Australia, which gives me confidence to pursue pattern making with my art.

Daydreaming

  • There are ups and downs with any business. What inspires you, and what motivates you to keep going?

Seeing other artists, illustrators and designers create beautiful things always gives me inspiration! I love seeing new ideas and innovation, and seeing other people create things. It makes me feel like I can do it too. Seeing others succeed in my field gives me motivation to continue to create what I am truly passionate about.

Coloring in Iceland

  • What advice would you give someone hoping to start their own creative brand?

I’ve said this before, but, just go DO IT. A lot of budding artists and creatives fear that they aren’t good enough, or that there is too much competition, or that they will fail. Having that fear will always keep you from doing what you were meant to do.

Put yourself out there, don’t be too snobby to collaborate. Be humble. Try new things.

And learn from those who are already doing it. Also, make your work AMAZING. If your work is done thoughtfully and is full of quality, you will be respected.

Drawing in the Desert

  • What does success look like to you?

Romantics would say true success is having fulfillment in what you do. But for me, making enough money to keep creating is my goal. I can’t be too romantic about it, or I will become a starving artist! And a starving artist can’t create stunning work when she is hungry.

I lied… I’m actually a total romantic deep down, but I do try to be realistic!

Sketching a cactus

  • Lastly, what are you working on now that you are particularly excited about?

This is the most exciting question! Right now I am SUPER excited to be working on launching an online art course, along with my third book next year!

I’ve had so many questions about techniques in coloring and painting, so I’ve created a step by step tutorial book, and am working on video courses too! If you want, subscribe to my newsletter on my website to get more info on it!

Look out for this in May and June of 2017!

Lastly, a few fun questions!

What did you want to be when you grew up? An artist!

#1 on your travel bucket list: This is always changing…but…Egypt!

Song that has you dancing: Currently, anything by Goldroom!

Quote that keeps you smiling: “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” -Pablo Picasso

Check out Rachel’s coloring books now!

Rachel Reinert Coloring Books

Kicking the Cubicle: Rachel Reinert, Artist is a post from: The Blonde Abroad



from The Blonde Abroad http://ift.tt/2jDP20Q

No comments:

Post a Comment