Monday, August 1, 2016

My Travel Photography Gear (Perfect for Female Travelers!)

Travel Photography Gear

Every day, I get questions about my travel photography gear. I want to disclose that I am not a professional photographer and I won’t be using technical terms to describe my gear.

I’m just passionate about telling stories and sharing my travel experiences through beautiful photos.

As a female traveler, there are a few things that are important when choosing photography gear. The first is size- I don’t want to lug around a big camera or have a camera so large that it draws unnecessary attention to myself.

I’ll be honest. 90% of the time, I’m shooting on Auto. So, secondly, I want a camera that is easy to use and has great automatic features.

Lastly, I look for quality. Above all, I want a camera that’s shooting incredible images, and that’s why I choose Fujifilm.

Here’s the complete list of my cameras and lenses by Fujifilm that I bring on my travels!

– – Camera Bodies – –

Fujifilm’s X Series combines traditional styling with cutting edge, innovative photography technology- here are my favorite models!

Travel Photography Fujifilm
Travel Photography Fujifilm X-T10

Fujifilm X-T10

This mirrorless digital camera is one of my favorite to shoot with when I’m out exploring for the day. Of all the cameras I have used over the past few years, I’ve found that it has the best automatic settings. It uses the new AF system, so you’ll see that the camera’s ability to capture moving subjects is top notch.

If you want to test your skills at manual shooting, you are able to easily adjust the combination of aperture, shutter speed and shooting functions while concentrating on picture taking- so you have options!

In addition to the pretty vintage style, the body is super lightweight and small in size, making it more discreet than other models.

Lastly, my favorite feature is that the X-T10 has a large and fast viewfinder. It offers a clear, high-definition live view of what you’re shooting which helps you line up shots- or if you’re traveling solo, it allows the random stranger taking your picture to see what they heck they’re doing!

This camera is great for people that are just starting to get their feet wet in photography and will mostly be shooting on automatic settings!

More on the Fujifilm X-T10 Body

Fujifilm X-T1
Fujifilm X-T1

Fujifilm X-T1

Let me just start out by saying that this camera was introduced with the fastest digital viewfinder in the world- so you’ll immediately see improvements to your pictures and composition as it keeps you in touch with whatever you’re shooting.

This camera body is slightly smaller and heavier than the X-T10, but has some better features when it comes to protection and durability. It is weather resistant, meaning it is dust-resistant, water-resistant and allows operation down to -10°C, which is great for outdoor adventures.

Now, this camera is much more manual-focused allowing you to control the manual shutter speed, exposure compensation, ISO sensitivity and metering via dials on the body. While the design and ease of use is amazing, you’ll need to have some experience shooting manual to take advantage of the features of this camera!

This camera is great for technical photography and for people that will mostly be shooting on manual settings!

More on the Fujifilm X-T1 Body

– – Lenses – –

There is a range of FUJINON interchangeable lenses for X Series cameras- here are the ones I use!

Fujinon Lenses

FUJINON XF18-55mmF2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Zoom Lens

  • When to Use: Every Day
This 18-55mm lens is the first one I got for my Fujifilm X Series bodies and it is the lens I shoot with 90% of the time– it is the most versatile lens in my kit. It is great for most shots you’ll take day to day exploring.

The lens also has a great range of zoom and a solid option for everyday use!

Hammock in Holbox

The “every-day” lens will capture most shots on your travels, from lounging at the beach to wandering rice fields- it is my standard, go-to lens!

Bali Rice Fields

Photography Tip: What is Aperture?

In photography, aperture is expressed in f-numbers, for example f/5.6. These f-numbers, also known as “f-stops”, are a way of describing the size of the aperture, or how open or closed the aperture is. A smaller f-stop means a larger aperture, while a larger f-stop means a smaller aperture.

The iris of the lens, or diaphragm, controls the size of the aperture. Its purpose is to block or stop all light, with the exception of the light that goes through the aperture.

Larger f-stops like f/32, is a smaller aperture and when shot, it will bring all foreground and background objects in focus. A smaller f-stop like f/1.4 will isolate the foreground from the background by making the foreground objects sharp and the background more out-of-focus.

Fujinon Lens

FUJINON XF10-24mmF4 R OIS Wide Angle Zoom Lens

  • When to Use: When Space is Required (Indoor & Landscapes)

Ever wanted to go an epic shot, but all the elements wouldn’t fit in the photo? You’ll need a wide angle for that!

Having a wide angle lens is awesome for landscape shots or shooting indoors in tight spaces. I typically use it when I want to shoot a large building or monument, or give something scale. If there’s not a lot of room to capture the entire scene, I’ll always switch to this lens.

Wide angle lenses can have some warping around the edges, but this lens has very mild distortion and, as you zoom, it minimizes it even further.

Hammad Airport

The wide angle lens will capture the whole scene- it’s what I always use for “Follow Me” shots because it frames the body and allows for more background in the shot.

Pula Colosseum

Photography Tip: What is a Prime Lens?

Prime lens is a lens of fixed focal length. This means that the lenses have larger apertures while staying compact in size. A prime lens has fewer moving parts (no zoom), so there is less of an opportunity for problems and prime lenses generally capture images that are sharper!

Fujinon Prime Lens

FUJINON XF56mmF1.2 R (Prime Lens)

  • When to Use: Portraits and Lifestyle Photography

For those not familiar, a prime lens has no zoom capability- it shoots a fixed range of distance, which allows for a better range of depth of field. The lens creates a beautiful out-of-focus background so it’s ideal for lifestyle and portrait photography.

If you’re looking for a good lens for fashion shots or photos of people when traveling, this is it!

Longboarding

I would consider this lens to be my “fashion lens” – I love the depth of field it provides, and allows the eye to focus on the outfit and foreground!

Ice Cream

Fujinon Prime Lens

FUJINON XF35mmF2 R WR (Prime Lens)

  • When to Use: Variety of Situations

This lens is the second 35mm prime made for the X Series cameras, but it is smaller and less expensive than the first. Your eyes see in 35mm, so this lens will offer a normal perspective to your images. It is most useful for shooting images with a shallow depth-of-field and working in low-light conditions!

This lens is weather sealed for added protection- 8 sealing points for weather and dust-resistance and will operate in as low as 14 degrees.

California Vibes

This lens is great for detail shots and getting up close and personal with the subject!

Candy Shop

Fujinon Zoom Lens

FUJINON XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR Zoom Lens 

+ FUJINON XF1.4X TC WR Teleconverter Lens

  • When to Use: Working with Distant Subjects

This is a big zoom lens and not something I bring on every trip. It obviously takes a lot of space in my backpack, so I only bring it when I know I’ll need it, like when I’m going on a safari!

The lens has a focus range is 1.75m with a maximum magnification of 0.19x so when you add the 1.4X Teleconverter you get an additional 1.4X zoom. A teleconverter is great because it means you get the power of a really big zoom lens without adding the bulk.

Safari in Sri Lanka

Mind you, this elephant was about 100ft away! This lens is the perfect tool for capturing distant subjects.

Hiding Parrot

READ NEXT: How to Get Awesome Photos as a Solo Traveler

 

My Travel Photography Gear (Perfect for Female Travelers!) is a post from: The Blonde Abroad



from The Blonde Abroad http://ift.tt/2aJG3Mt

No comments:

Post a Comment